Because tentmaking has many different shapes and presentations, maybe it's easier to explain what a tentmaker is not.
- The tentmaker doesn't receive a paycheck from the church.
- The tentmaker isn't a resident tourist.
- Tentmaking isn't a short-term mission assignment.
- Tentmaking isn't a way to recoup financially.
- A tentmaker isn't a secret missionary.
- A tentmaker isn't an employee of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Tentmaking isn't a fast track to professional success.
While a tentmaker is certain to meet experiences they will never forget, they're not in it for adventure. While tentmaking demands discretion and wisdom in a foreign country, a love for people and faithfulness to God can never be a secret!
Having said all that, a tentmaker is not following their own plan but on a personal mission for God.